Two prayers....

God's will be done and may He have mercy upon us all.

About Me

My photo
A Catholic who follows Rome & the Magisterium. I'm against gay "marriage", abortion, embryonic stem cell research, euthanasia, human cloning. Altar girls, Communion in the hand, Eucharistic Ministers and "Protestant" music in the Church doesn't bother me at all. A proud American retired submarine sailor. Our borders should be secured with a 10 ft. high fence topped by concertina wire with minefields out to 20 yards on both sides and an additional 10 yards filled with warning signs outside of that Let's get energy independent NOW! Back Israel to the max, stop appeasing followers of the Pedophile Prophet. Pro 2nd Amendment, pro death penalty, Repeal all hate crime legislation. Back the police unless you'd rather call a hippie when everything hits the fan. Get government out of dealing with education, childhood obesity and the enviornment. Stop using the military for sociological experiments and if we're in a war don't micromanage their every move. Kill your television, limit time on the computer and pick up a book. God's will be done and may He have mercy upon us all.

Sunday, February 24, 2008

A lesson in Latin

Catholic rant follows, you've been warned.

One of the problems with reentering the Catholic Church has been the knowledge that it's a package deal, if I'm going to do it right I have to accept everything the Church teaches and not pick and choose what might be comfycozy for me.

Some of the stuff I wrestle with and need guidance when it would seem to be cut and dry, an example being my decision to raise my kids in the War Department's faith (Methodist) vice Catholicism. We went to my priest when this subject came up and his advice to me was to be the best Catholic I can, the implication being that I can't worry about someone else's soul when I have so much work to do on my own.

That resonated with me because as a recovering alcoholic I had something of the same experience. When you initially join AA it isn't uncommon for the newly sober to be on fire and want to save the whole drinking world before he has a good grasp on sobriety himself. More often than not a newly sober member who ignores all advice to take care of himself first will soon find himself on a barstool. You can't give away what you yourself don't have. So since I'm still newly Catholic and the WD is a much better example of what a Christian is than I, it only makes sense for the kids to follow her lead. That seemed to be what my priest was saying.

Anyway, it's tough going sometimes when you try walking the straight and narrow. On topics such as abortion I have no such problem though and always am puzzled by those "devout" Catholics who opt for "a woman's right to choose".

Evidently I'm not the only one, this guy have a great take on the subject.

2 comments:

ignorant redneck said...

SubVet--

When I came back to the Church, I was faced wit three adult daughters who don't go. Who didn't even like the Church. One of whom was overtly hostile to the Church and Christianity.

I got so much work to do on me. Like you I got substance issues--not alcohol (which I ma very careful with! I wouldn't want to do all this work on drugs, just to let my self slide into being a rummy!), but drugs. As well as problems with prmiscuity, etc.

But over the last couple of years, my kids now go to Mass, at least occasionally. My last single daughter is getting Married--in the Church.

The best religious upbringing we can give our kids, is to live our religion. Other wise, well, offspring have the worlds best bull shit detectors!

Subvet said...

Ignorant Redneck, thanks for sharing that. I often find myself impatient with the "holier-than-thou" types that would come down with both feet on you or I for not being "Catholic enough". Screw em!

As you say, our kids have great bullshit detectors and will spot a phony from a mile away. Best we can do is walk the walk.

Thanks again.

Blog Archive

THIS is depressing!!

THIS is depressing!!
Our education system must have REAL problems!

Proper Care of The Koran

Proper Care of The Koran
A place for everything and everything in it's place

Our Lady of America, pray for us (we need it!)

St. Gabriel Possenti, (unofficial) patron saint of handgun owners, pray for us.

Humane blogger award

Humane blogger award