Two prayers....

God's will be done and may He have mercy upon us all.

About Me

My photo
A Catholic who follows Rome & the Magisterium. I'm against gay "marriage", abortion, embryonic stem cell research, euthanasia, human cloning. Altar girls, Communion in the hand, Eucharistic Ministers and "Protestant" music in the Church doesn't bother me at all. A proud American retired submarine sailor. Our borders should be secured with a 10 ft. high fence topped by concertina wire with minefields out to 20 yards on both sides and an additional 10 yards filled with warning signs outside of that Let's get energy independent NOW! Back Israel to the max, stop appeasing followers of the Pedophile Prophet. Pro 2nd Amendment, pro death penalty, Repeal all hate crime legislation. Back the police unless you'd rather call a hippie when everything hits the fan. Get government out of dealing with education, childhood obesity and the enviornment. Stop using the military for sociological experiments and if we're in a war don't micromanage their every move. Kill your television, limit time on the computer and pick up a book. God's will be done and may He have mercy upon us all.

Sunday, June 21, 2009

My Father...

...was a flaming asshole. That opinion was shared across the board by our neighbors, extended family, casual acquaintances and folks in general.

He drank like a fish whenever he could, constantly belittled anyone who might disagree with him. It was his way or the highway. As a gauge of his personality in general, he stopped watching "All In The Family" because he felt Archie Bunker was too much of a wishy-washy, spineless dolt who wouldn't stand up to his daughter and son-in-law. Nope, Dad was not a snuggly-wuggly, cuddly type of guy.

He also taught me the very few things I know about being mentally and physically tough, showed me that even tough guys can cry at the proper time and stressed the importance of family ties.

For the sake of my brother and I he stayed married to our mother, even during the years she was out catting around and weeks would go by when we had no idea if she was alive or dead. For our sake he made peace with her later and never allowed us to speak ill of the woman. If you've seen "Divine Secrets of The Ya-Ya Sisterhood" you've an idea from the Ashley Judd character what she was like. Hollywood sure glamorized the hell of that one, actually living that life was another thing entirely.

He gave me the most important piece of advice of my life, "Experience is a great teacher but only a damned fool relies strictly on his own."

I recall an incident when I was 17, he got pissed off at the two clerks in an appliance store while I was with him. I forget what it was about but the upshot of it was him shouting at the top of his lungs, informing them they were a couple of idiotic shitheads. These guys were fairly big and young so as this was going on I began laughing, thinking we were sure to get our asses kicked when they took on the crazy one-legged man and his son. Funny, they just stood there taking his abuse. He wore a wooden leg so they couldn't know he was crippled and if it'd been me in their shoes I'd have come over the counter in a heartbeat. They just stood there, open mouthed and jaws dropping to the floor.

He lived hard by his own choosing, alienating all and sundry at the drop of a hat and dying at the relatively young age of 57. It's always puzzled me that his funeral was so well attended. The church was packed. The family and friends who came actually missed him, they weren't there to make sure he was finally in the box.

When I named my five year old son after him my mother was shocked. "What the heck did you do that for?" was her question. The followon comment was to the effect that my brother and I always "took his side". Because of the respect the man ingrained in me for her, I never said that was easy when he was the one we could always count on to be around if necessary during our childhood, that he might knock me on my ass for being intentionally stupid but he'd always give me a second chance. No one was beyond redemption in his book, everyone had sins to answer for and nobody was a genius all the time.

Dad, Happy Fathers Day. It's been thirty-two years since you died, I still miss you.

6 comments:

Mike Golch said...

My late Dad had an ornery streak in him as well.He did not drink,For that I am greatful for.He was a recovering Alcoholic for most of my life.He passed away at the age of 58 14 AUG 1984. I miss him as well.Man Hug my friend.

MightyMom said...

Happy Father's day to the love of my life and the best father I know.

Always On Watch said...

Well! This is a unique posting for Father's Day. That opening line!

It's always puzzled me that his funeral was so well attended. The church was packed. The family and friends who came actually missed him, they weren't there to make sure he was finally in the box.

Obviously, he made quite an impression in his short lifetime. LOL.

Subvet said...

Mike, thanks for the thoughts. I'd be willing to bet there were quite a few "ornery" types of their age. Guess it came with the times.

MM, thanks sweetie.

AOW,"Obviously, he made quite an impression in his short lifetime."

Oh boy, did he ever!

Most Rev. Gregori said...

Sometimes even the biggest S.O.B. can teach the most meaningful lessons of life and leave a lasting impression.

I may be a day late and a dollar short, but Happy Father's Day.

VSO said...

Dang SV, we got alot in common. In my case only the first paragraph applies. The SOB never taught me a thing, and he's dead to us...just not officially.

Blog Archive

THIS is depressing!!

THIS is depressing!!
Our education system must have REAL problems!

Proper Care of The Koran

Proper Care of The Koran
A place for everything and everything in it's place

Our Lady of America, pray for us (we need it!)

St. Gabriel Possenti, (unofficial) patron saint of handgun owners, pray for us.

Humane blogger award

Humane blogger award